June 19, 2012

In Season... STRAWBERRIES

I admit - I loved Strawberry Shortcake.  And I'm not talking about the delicious cream treat you see above... I had all the dolls - Huckleberry Pie, Lemon Meringue, even wicked ol' Sour Grapes.  I think this early passion was a fitting segue to my love of colorful foods. 


And now, this season, the super sweet and nostalgic aroma of fresh, ripe strawberries abounds.  I picked up 2 lbs. for a few bucks and whipped up these merry-makers in minutes.  


How many of Strawberry Shortcake's friends can you name??  
(Here's a cheatsheet when you're ready...)




Anyone who knows me knows I hate to waste a beloved piece of produce, so what do I do with those super-ripe berries not pretty enough for my shortcake?  Throw 'em the blender of course! This basic, PG smoothie includes about a 1/2 cup of vanilla yogurt, and a splash of berry juice, but why not use Bacardi Dragon Berry instead of yogurt for a different kind of sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!