December 26, 2015

How do you celebrate....?

...Christmas Eve

My first ever Feast of Seven Fishes (and 7 beverages) is about to become my new tradition. I'm not Italian, but I love me some seafood, and any occasion to get creative, eat, and pop few bottles is welcome in my house.  

Oysters, crabcake, shrimp, Chilean sea bass, salmon, scallops and smelts make up the spread



A night of firsts, indeed, my first attempt at oyster shucking was a success.  No bloodshed.
Porterhouse Brewing's Oyster Stout is a fitting pair and a nod to my actual heritage.



Next up, simple salmon sashimi. Good wasabi and fresh ginger paste send a jolt of invigorating electricity to my skull.  Ahh, that's the stuff.
Konteki "Tears of Dawn" Daiginjo makes for silky, rich salvation from the head rush



Just getting warmed up now... 
as barbecue-marinaded sea scallops sidle up to curry-rubbed jumbo shrimp (jumbo shrimp??) A delicious double-bill.
Bee D'Vine's brut mead is a crisp, fragrant cut to the curry's kick while complimenting the maple-y bbq scallops


It wouldn't be a party without crab cake! 
Not a very fun one anyway.
It is all about the condiments. Matheny's Tartar Sauce by Everyday Gourmet is by far the best you will ever taste.  Hard to believe, but why would I lie? 



A perfect occasion to crack one of my favorite bottles!  Now nodding to this tradition's Italian roots, Proprieta Sperino's Nebbiolo blend, Uvaggio adds colorful pop to the creamy crab.  Fruity aroma and sophisticated body dot the i's


Oh boy, starting to slow down now... and there's still 2 more courses to go!



And press on, I do.  Next up, some salty smelts

Lightly panko-dusted, crispy little fish are balanced with a sweet balsamic reduction and a slightly sweet, aromatic Unibroue triple.



(Should probably hydrate...)




Last but not least, the sea bass seared with a touch of olive oil and roasted garlic. I'm beyond stuffed, yet it's just light enough. 
The Bas-Armagnac by Eric Artiguelongue cuts through the crowd to both add spark to the mild bass, and double as dessert.  Deserved, I dare say.


Maybe one more dessert...
A sip of sweet and viscous Battistella Amore amaretto from the Finger Lake's Six Mile Creek Vineyard is just the taste to seal the meal.  Amen.



One more first (well, first time in a LONG time), I culminate the tradition with a pilgrimage to Midnight Mass. 

 Thank you to the choir at St. Anthony of Padua, West Harrison for a truly beautiful performance.

A slam-dunk night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!